Located in Reston, VA, just outside Washington, DC, Nova Labs is a membership- driven, all-volunteer makerspace, founded in 2011 with the purpose of empowering our community to “Rediscover the Joy of Making Things”.
Our current 10,500 sq. ft. facility houses classrooms, workspace, incubator offices, and a shop that includes both common tools and advanced fabrication equipment. Members enjoy 24/7 access and help co-manage our space by teaching classes, maintaining equipment, and promoting making in the community.
We are a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, supporting a wide range of open-source development projects that benefit both the local community and the world.
Nova Labs is searching for new members for its Board of Directors. The new members will complement the skills, experiences, and competencies of existing Board members and provide additional skills needed based on Nova Labs 5-year plan. Within the 5-year plan, is the intention of relocation by either leasing or buying a commercial space.
Nova Labs is seeking an experienced grant writer that will be responsible for identifying grant opportunities and managing the grant development and proposal process. Candidate will conduct prospect research, assemble and submit grant requests, adhere to follow-up and reporting requirements, and serve as the point person for all grant related subject matter. Candidate must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, the ability to work independently and collaboratively concurrently, and managerial skills to manage numerous projects simultaneously. Please note: all Nova Labs board positions are volunteer.Mandatory Skills
- Experience with sourcing opportunities, cold-calling, contact development, and business relationship management.
- Experience with mitigating common proposal objections.
- Demonstrated experience in obtaining grants from non-profits, charities, and other philanthropic organizations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong interpersonal and presentation skills, and excellent grammar.
- Detail-oriented, adaptable, organized and demonstrated ability to successfully manage multiple projects and tasks.
- Must work well in a deadline-oriented environment, possess the ability to seek and synthesize information, and communicate in a compelling and succinct form.
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office, e-mail marketing, and CRM tools.
- Research and identify grant opportunities. Identify all requirements of grant to ensure all necessary attachments are submitted on time.
- Complete and submit grant applications to secure funding.
- Create and maintain an internal mechanism or recommend CRM database to track grant writing lifecycle and metrics.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, English, or a similar major.
- Certification from the American Grant Writers; Association (AGWA) and/or the Grant Professionals Association (GPA).
- Experience with the Maker Movement or Makerspace is preferable.
Thank you for your interest in joining the Nova Labs Board!
Please select the position that interests you, and upload your resume file below.