Located in Reston, VA, just outside Washington, DC, Nova Labs is a membership- driven, all-volunteer makerspace, founded in 2011 with the purpose of empowering our community to “Rediscover the Joy of Making Things”.
Our current 10,500 sq. ft. facility houses classrooms, workspace, incubator offices, and a shop that includes both common tools and advanced fabrication equipment. Members enjoy 24/7 access and help co-manage our space by teaching classes, maintaining equipment, and promoting making in the community.
We are a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, supporting a wide range of open-source development projects that benefit both the local community and the world.
Nova Labs is searching for new members for its Board of Directors. The new members will complement the skills, experiences, and competencies of existing Board members and provide additional skills needed based on Nova Labs 5-year plan. Within the 5-year plan, is the intention of relocation by either leasing or buying a commercial space.
Nova Labs is seeking a Board member that is an experienced commercial real estate broker or commercial real estate consultant that has extensive experience with commercial real estate with nonprofit experience a plus. Specifically, the potential Board member will provide facility planning, work with Treasurer to assess organizational financial capacity, identify and evaluate potential sites, negotiate leases/purchase agreements, analyze financial feasibility, and assess property and asset management needs. Please note: all Nova Labs board positions are volunteer.
Nova Labs is searching for a Board member that can perform the following:Mandatory:
- Work with the Board to determine the goals of the relocation project. Work with the Board to determine conceptual feasibility of the relocation project that incorporates Nova Labs members’ concepts, financial positioning, and proposed space allocation.
- Work with the Board Treasurer to assess the appropriate real estate options. Work with Board Treasurer to prepare pro forma models of sources, uses, and cash flows for the one-time and ongoing costs of the relocation.
- Develop project scope, budget, schedule, and establish priorities with appropriate input from Treasurer and Board President. Provide leadership in the overall direction, administration, and completion of a project.
- Review/analyze zoning information, contract documents, financial reports, etc., as part of due diligence process, deal negotiations, and closings. Directly manage relocation project team including architects, engineers, general contractors and subcontracted consultants for build out.
- Maintain stellar relationships with partners, tenants, brokers, contractors, subcontractors, lenders, etc.
- Prepare presentations to the Board at an established cadence.
- Organize, plan, and conduct workshops on real estate options to Nova Labs members in a transparency effort with constituents. Assist with the creation of informational materials for the workshops.
- Demonstrated experience with commercial tenant improvement, construction practices, commercial real estate brokerage practices, benchmarking surveys, and space allocation.
- Exceptional negotiation skills and strong analytical and communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management, finance, real estate and/or related field.
- At least 12 - 15 years of accomplished real estate experience involving real estate transactions, contract negotiation, property valuation, market analysis, commercial development and finance.
- Real estate license.
- Experience with nonprofit facility development and/or management.
- Established relationships with commercial real estate brokers and commercial real estate realtors in the Northern VA area.
Thank you for your interest in joining the Nova Labs Board!
Please select the position that interests you, and upload your resume file below.