Located in Reston, VA, just outside Washington, DC, Nova Labs is a membership-driven, all-volunteer makerspace, founded in 2011 with the purpose of empowering our community to “Rediscover the Joy of Making Things”.
Our current 10,500 sq. ft. facility houses classrooms, workspace, incubator offices, and a shop that includes both common tools and advanced fabrication equipment. Members enjoy 24/7 access and help co-manage our space by teaching classes, maintaining equipment, and promoting making in the community.
We are a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, supporting a wide range of open-source development projects that benefit both the local community and the world.
Nova Labs is searching for new members for its Board of Directors. The new members will complement the skills, experiences, and competencies of existing Board members and provide additional skills needed based on Nova Labs 5-year plan. Within the 5-year plan, is the intention of relocation by either leasing or buying a commercial space. To assist with the relocation project, capital campaign fundraising will play a substantial role in Nova Labs’ decision to either buy a commercial property or to lease.
Nova Labs is searching for a potential board member with an established track record of capital fundraising, particularly for nonprofit organizations. This Board member should design and execute the fundraising campaign and meet established milestones agreed upon by the entire Board. The potential Board member should also include and implore current Nova Labs members into the design schema to ensure high participation. Please note: all Nova Labs board positions are volunteer.
- Develop a capital fundraising roadmap complete with different strategies/methodologies for current and future revenue avenues and explicit milestones/metrics to measure fundraising campaign success. Create a strong fundraising message that appeals to potential donors.
- Develop materials to submit to granting or other funding organizations.
- Write reports and prepare presentations to communicate fundraising program status data for monthly Board meetings.
- Develop strategies to encourage new or increased contributions. Articulate the strategies to the Board and Office Manager.
- Recruit sponsors, participants, and volunteers for fundraising events. Prepare materials for charitable events, such as fundraising envelopes, bid sheets, etc.
- Identify and build relationships with potential donors. Create donor databases. Develop and maintain media contact lists. Contact corporate representatives, government officials, or community leaders to increase awareness of Nova Labs’ activities and needs.
- Work with Treasurer to monitor budgets, expense reports, or other financial data for fundraising organizations.
- Implement multi-prong fundraising activities: Direct or coordinate web-based fundraising activities. Plan and direct special events for fundraising, such as silent auctions, dances, golf events, or walks. Develop or implement fundraising activities, such as annual giving campaigns or direct mail programs. Write speeches, press releases, or other promotional materials to increase awareness.
- Leverage technology and social media where possible to improve fundraising activities.
- Ensure that all legal reporting requirements are satisfied.
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, journalism, communications, English, or business.
- At least 10 years of capital fundraising experience.
- Optional - Master’s degree programs in philanthropic studies or fundraising.
- Optional - Certified Fund Raising Executive Certification (CFRE International)
- Strong communication and organizational skills. Detail-oriented
- Ability to lead small and large groups of volunteers.
- Experience working with nonprofit organizations is preferable.
Thank you for your interest in joining the Nova Labs Board!
Please select the position that interests you, and upload your resume file below.