An Open Letter to TechShop Members and TechShop-powered businesses
As makers, we are deeply saddened to hear that TechShop closed its doors this week; we believe in the Maker Movement and want to do everything we can to help makers in our community. The Nova Labs makerspace in Reston, VA would like to welcome TechShop members and TechShop-powered businesses.
Here are a few practical ways to get involved:
- Let us help you finish your projects. Our volunteers will help you get access to the tools and resources you are familiar with at TechShop. Please fill out this form to help us understand how we can help. https://tinyurl.com/novalabs2017
- We can support your maker business. We will assign a dedicated liaison to help you find the resources you need including desk space, training, and tool re-certification. Please fill out this form to help us understand how we can help. https://tinyurl.com/novalabs2017
- Consider becoming a member. All new members start by signing up on our website, www.Nova-Labs.org/membership and taking the GO (Green Orientation) class. You can be part of a strong, sustainable, volunteer-driven community with a multitude of interests: woodworking, metalworking, blacksmithing, electronics, arts & crafts, 3D printing, laser cutting and engraving, CNC, and more. You can even start your own interest group!
- Come to our membership party. You are welcome to join in our upcoming member meeting/meet and greet. RSVP is appreciated. https://www.meetup.com/NOVA-Makers/events/244380446/
Some Background on Nova Labs.
We are a 10,000 square foot facility with 50% workshop and 50% office and classroom space. We have many of the same tools and equipment found at TechShop locations including two large scale, high power laser cutters, nine 3D printers, full electronics workbench, full woodworking and metalworking shops, 4×4 foot CNC router, and 4 axis Matsuura CNC machine.
The focus at Nova Labs is on community. We are member-driven and volunteer based. Everyone at Nova Labs supports the cause through teaching, maintenance, and development. We love networking, so be prepared to meet your fellow makers and make some new friends.
We look forward to meeting you,
Nova Labs Board of Directors:
- Marybeth Haneline, President
- Brian Jacoby, Vice President, Founder, Past President Jim Sweeney, Treasurer
- Lieselot Whitbeck, Secretary
- Jim Girardi
- Tom Welsh
- Sam Aparicio
- Margaret Kositch
Following is a link to an open letter for Tech Shop members from:
Dan Shapiro, CEO, Glowforge
Zach Kaplan, CEO, Inventables
Ayah Bdeir, CEO, littleBits Electronics
Max Lobovsky, CEO, Formlabs